Friday, October 9, 2009

Family Night!! Read first before playing!!

Ok here it is........The infamous family night video! So here's the story. Roger was becoming pretty famous in Utah County. So famous in fact that he had gained some fans that really wanted to meet him. We thought it would be awfully Christian of us to offer a good ole' fashioned family night with Rog Dog. "Hey Roger we're having family night tonight would you like to join us?"......."yeah".........."Ok cool, do you think you could just share a scripture or somethin?".........long awkward pause............still pausing...........staring............."how about I just sing a song?" ............"PERFECT!!"

Bless his heart. He offered to sing a song. When it came time for Roger to do his thing he requested the hymn book. We handed it to him and then he told us this story. "One day in Tennessee I was walking through the woods during a blizzard and this song just came to me. It has 7 or 9 verses but i'll only sing one."

We've analyzed this video about a dozen times, maybe a baker's dozen. I pretty much have it memorized but we all got together and wrote down the lyrics which will be shown below. (watch his eyes open as he sings about it)

After he sang he opened up the hymn book and started reading for honestly five minutes. He requested that we sing a hymn from the book. We sang I need thee every hour. After the first verse we all stopped............except for Roger...........he kept singing except that he didnt know the tune of the song. This moment in my life was officially the number one hardest time i've ever experienced not to laugh.

In the end we hummed the last 4 verses with Rog Dog.

Special thanks goes out to Cami, Brooke, and Kiera for being part of this beautiful evening. Hope you enjoy this as much as I did. It was the hardest 10 minutes of my life and I loved every second of it.

Loving Savior (In a pickle in Tennessee)By: Roger DaleStepping out of this cruel dark world, Into the light of the Lord.Stepping out on a walk of faith While listening to His word.Why should we wonder, why should we fearWith our loving Savior near.Without the darkness it's all very clear With our loving Savior nearSo walk in His light day and nightOpen your eyes and seeOpen your heart and there you will findThat's where the Lord will beLiving and loving as Savior and friendsHelping us endure to the endWhile stepping out of this worldInto the light of the Lord.

5 comments:

  1. This made my Top Ten Nights of My Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I kinda wish I was there, yes just kinda, Roger kinda freaks me out and I don't even live with him. Haha, you guys are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Roger has got some potential. I really think that was a good song. Even the lyrics. He may steal your TP but you guys better be nice so when he is famous he will remember you two jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoes in church

    I showered and shaved
    I adjusted my tie.
    I got there and sat
    In a pew just in time.
    Bowing my head in prayer
    As I closed my eyes.
    I saw the shoe of the man next to me.
    Touching my own. I sighed.

    With plenty of room on either side
    I thought, 'Why must our soles touch?'
    It bothered me, his shoe touching mine
    But it didn't bother him much.

    A prayer began: 'Our Father'
    I thought, 'This man with the shoes, has no pride.

    They're dusty, worn, and scratched. Even worse, there are holes on the side!'

    'Thank You for blessings,' the prayer went on.
    The shoe man said
    A quiet 'Amen.'
    I tried to focus on the prayer
    But my thoughts were on his shoes again.

    Aren't we supposed to look our best. When walking through that door?

    'Well, this certainly isn't it,' I thought, Glancing toward the floor.
    Then the prayer was ended
    And the songs of praise began.
    The shoe man was certainly loud
    Sounding proud as he sang.
    His voice lifted the rafters
    His hands were raised high.
    The Lord could surely hear. The shoe man's voice from the sky.
    It was time for the offering
    And what I threw in was steep.
    I watched as the shoe man reached
    Into his pockets so deep.
    I saw what was pulled out
    What the shoe man put in.20
    Then I heard a soft 'clink' . As when silver hits tin.
    The sermon really bored me
    To tears, and that's no lie.
    It was the same for the shoe man
    For tears fell from his eyes.
    At the end of the service
    As is the custom here.
    We must greet new visitors, And show them all good cheer.
    But I felt moved somehow
    And wanted to meet the shoe man.
    So after the closing prayer
    I reached over and shook his hand.
    He was old and his skin was dark
    And his hair was truly a mess.
    But I thanked him for coming
    For being our guest.

    He said, 'My names' Charlie
    I'm glad to meet you, my friend.'
    There were tears in his eyes
    But he had a large, wide grin.
    'Let me explain,' he said
    Wiping tears from his eyes.
    'I've been coming here for months
    And you're the first to say 'Hi.''
    'I know that my appearance
    'Is not like all the rest.
    'But I really do try
    'To always look my best.'
    'I always clean and polish my shoes
    'Before my very long walk.
    'But by the time I get here
    'They're dirty and dusty, like chalk.'
    My heart filled with pain
    And I swallowed to hide my tears.
    As he continued to apologize
    For daring to sit so near
    He said, 'When I get here
    'I know I must look a sight .
    'But I thought if I could touch you..'Then maybe our souls might unite.'
    I was silent for a moment
    Knowing whatever was said
    Would pale in comparis on
    I spoke from my heart, not my head.
    'Oh, you've touched me,' I said
    'And taught me, in part;
    'That the best of any man
    'Is what is found in his heart.'
    The rest, I thought,
    This shoe man will never know.
    Like just how thankful I really am
    That his dirty old shoe touched my soul

    Jeff--- you are really in an interesting situation, but you just never know. Unless you know....

    ReplyDelete